Your kids will enjoy their favorite kind of sandwiches with a homemade flavor. The burgers are very easy to prepare and you can use minced beef, chicken, turkey or even fish.
Makes: 2 large or 3-4 smaller burgers
- 1 diced onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable or olive
- 1 slice bread, crust is best or 2 slices of small loaf
- 250g minced beef
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- grind of pepper to taste
- Preparation method
1. Cook off the onion on a med-low heat in the oil until soft. (Nothing worse than crunchy uncooked onions in burgers)
2. Put the bread slice/s into the food processor and whiz up to fine crumbs.
3. Add onion, soy sauce and Worcester sauce into the food processor and blend for a minute or two, just to combine (or to further chop onion if you like).
4. Pre-heat your pan (add a good brush of oil) or grill (medium-low setting).
5. Add your mince to the food processor and blend for a minute. Open and add a good grind of pepper (or other alternative seasonings). Continue blending for a minute or two.
6. The messy bit: Remove mixture onto a chopping board and cut in half (or more if desired). Roll each amount into a ball in your hands (the mixture is very tacky right now), then flatten, and shape by pressing out to about 1.5-2cm deep. This will make 2 very big burgers.
7. Place in the preheated pan and cook for about 5 minutes before turning over. You need to let it form a golden crust and seal one side before you turn it to the second side. Cook for about 5 minutes on the other side. Turn over again, cooking both sides again for a minute or two.
8. Now! Serve with vegetable rice or homemade wedges, chips, salad... whatever you like.
- If making more burgers with this mixture, reduce the cooking time for each side by making a golden brown crust on each side.
- Adjust the soy sauce or Worcester sauce levels to your liking.
- You might also cook off some chili with the onion or add chili powder or other herbs to suit the meat you are using.
- You can try these in the oven with an ovenproof dish, 200 C / Gas 6 and 20-25 minutes should do it, turning once.
Related Links:Baba Ghannouj (Smoked Aubergine Dip)
Caramel Fudge Recipe
School Lunch: Broccoli, Chicken Pasta Salad